What are the Causes, Symptoms & Remedies for Muscle Pain?
Muscle Pain is a common form of discomfort in present times. You may experience muscle pain in any part of your body although, there is no particular reason that might explain the discomfort. But often, it is related to injury or overuse from exercise or physical labour.
The good part is that there are several remedies for muscle pain. But before that let us first understand muscle pain in detail.
What are muscles?
Muscles are soft tissues that are made up of several stretchy fibres and help you in doing everything, from pumping blood to running or jumping. There are more than 600 muscles in our body, out of which few are controlled by us while others work voluntarily.
For a healthy body, it is important to take care of our muscles as any disorder, injury or disease can affect the functioning of muscles, causing muscle pain or weakness.
What are the causes of muscle pain?
Some of the common causes of muscle pain include-
- Experiencing muscle tension in or more areas of the body
- Overuse of muscles during physical activity
- Experiencing muscle injury while doing any exercise or manual activity
- Skipping warming up session before starting an exercise
- Several injuries can cause muscles to tear and stretch, causing muscle strain.
Apart from these, there are other less prominent causes, such as certain medications, genetic disorders, and a few diseases and infections that can affect the working of muscles, causing muscle pain.
What symptoms can you experience in muscle pain?
Some different signs and symptoms may point towards the issue of muscle pain include -
- Muscle stiffness and weakness in the affected area
- Experiencing dizziness and movement problems
- Tingling sensation or numbness
- Pain or cramps
- Breathing difficulties
If you are experiencing aches throughout your body, then it is probably due to an infection, medication, or underlying disease or illness. However, it is not always necessary that experiencing these symptoms mean something is wrong. But, if they come suddenly, then it would be best to visit a doctor.
How to take care of muscle pain?
Muscle pain and weakness often get better with time, proper rest, and, hydration. Many people also believe in home remedies for muscle pain relief. This involves-
- Using the R.I.C.E method, that involves-
Rest- Give proper rest to the affected area and drop the activity that caused the injury.
Ice - Apply ice to the affected area using a pack of ice or frozen peas. Do it for 15-20 minutes, thrice a day to get relief from pain and swelling.
Compression- Reduce swelling with the help of a compression bandage.
Elevation- Elevate or raise your feet to a higher position to decrease inflammation
- Try to stretch out the affected muscles with caution.
- Practice activities that relax and reduce stress with the help of yoga and meditation.
Apart from this, you can even try certain pain relievers, such as a Dr. ortho oil. Pain relief oils are made with ayurvedic herbs that help in easing pain-related issues with regular application. Dr. Ortho's ayurvedic pain relief oil is a great recommendation for it.
How to keep our muscles healthy?
It is always better to stop something negative from happening rather than deal with it later. The same goes for the case of muscle. We can try to keep our muscles healthy, to prevent any kind of issue in the long run, by following these steps-
- Make sure to follow a balanced diet and avoid unhealthy food habits
- Try to quit smoking
- Regular exercise
- Give your muscles the time to heal after an injury or strain
- Maintain healthy body weight.
All these pointers may help you in keeping your muscle in good shape and also in keeping them healthy. But, if the pain is severe, it would be better to visit a doctor to get professional medical help.