Foods that Cause Joint Pain
Our diet has been the governing factor for many disease/problematic situations we experience in our lives. One study by WHO (World health organization) has stated the type of foods and physical inactivity as two major reasons for developing a chronic disease. These six nutrition related diseases have caught world’s attention in the past decade. These diseases are-
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Dental diseases
Osteoporosis and bone fractures too feature in the list. Over 4 million Indian people are suffering from joint pain problems. Well this large number does surprises everyone? Isn’t it? We owe the responsibility. Joint health seems to be an ignored segment. May be your food eating habits are responsible for your poor joint health?
World Arthritis Day is celebrated on 12th of October every year. It is dedicated to create awareness among masses. Last year the theme was `it’s in your hands, take action’. So it’s in our hands to have healthy or poor joint health.
You cannot change the scenario of your joint health overnight? It needs patience and improving your attitude towards your health. Let’s see the first step pro joint health i.e. to avoid foods that cause joint pain.
Foods that could be making your joints hurt
There is no specific joint pro health. But, there are some foods which you must cut to avoid hurting your joints. Foods that cause joint pain are as follows: –
- Sugary Soda : Extra sugar is definitely not good for your health. It leads to release of inflammatory molecules thus initiating cascade of reactions which may lead to inflammatory tissue reactions in joints. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported a direct link between soda consumption and arthritis risk. Cut down some soda for better joint health. Also opt for natural sweeteners like honey to reduce the risk of joint pain.
- Corn oil : Grape seed oil, Sunflower oil, corn oil, peanut oil as well as mayonnaise are high in omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6 fatty acid intake could lead to magnification of inflammatory processes that take place in your body. Omega-6 fatty acids are not that bad for your health. They are needed for normal growth and development in the body. So do not completely eliminate them from your diet plan, instead take them in moderate amounts. Increase the intake of Omega -3 fatty acids rich food like nuts, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Bright Red Tomatoes : Tomatoes are antioxidant rich foods. Antioxidants are good for reducing inflammation reactions which go in the body and lead to deterioration of joint health. So what is the point in avoiding tomatoes? People with gout (gathiya as we commonly call it) have a point to take home. Tomatoes increase the level of uric acid in blood and gout is due to increased uric acid levels in blood.
- Processed meat and Red meat : Processed meat and red meat have chemicals like purines and nitrites which lead to increase in inflammation and pain in the body. To add on, in one study by American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a direct link was established between red meat consumption and inflammation. Are you a non vegetarian food lover? No worries eat some fish like Mackeral, Sardines, Salmon and Catfish. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids too. Good for your joint health.
- Dairy products : Dairy products do play a role in joint pain problems. Milk which is also one of the dairy products, rich in vitamin D is good for your bones. The point is-Don’t completely eliminate dairy products from your diet.
Many people may want to know the reason for lesser intake of dairy products. The reason is dairy products have a protein named casein which triggers inflammation reactions in body and hence the pain associated with it. You can opt for alternative healthier options like soy milk, tofu and margarine.
- Good diet
- Physical activity routine
- Good quality sleep
A last healthy tip-Avoid preservatives and additives rich food. Well in today’s busy life, where time is a crunch, an easy option is to heat and eat packaged food (rich in preservatives and additives) .So what’s your take on your health? Take out time and cook some food.
Foods that Cause Joint Pain? If you have any other information, Please add in Comments.